Because we had one busy weekend celebrating! This past weekend was Pioneer Day, as most Utahan's know, actually as most LDS people know. Anyway, we had such a fun filled weekend. We got the weekend started early by going boating on Thursday with some of Steve's brothers and his sister Bailee. Sorry I didn't get any pictures, but you try packing a baby for a day of boating! That's my excuse for forgetting my camera... Later on Thursday we had a BBQ with the Harwood family to celebrate a few birthdays. Friday we went to Steve's parents house to swim. I have pictures of this somewhere, but can't seem to locate them. Long story short: Macie is a little fish! The girl absolutely loves being in the pool. Every time we tried to take her out she would cry and cry and finally we would just get back in with her until she started getting hungry, and then food was more important. After a fun day of swimming (which I think is a wonderful way to celebrate the pioneers traveling through the deserts of Utah to get to SLC) we had another BBQ with some more of Steve's family and some of his parents neighbors. Saturday, Steve and I went on an actual date! We went to Thanksgiving point to see Secondhand Serenade. 

This is a monument next to the Sweetwater River in Wyoming. It has the names of the boys who helped the pioneers across the river on it, there is also a plaque next to it that tells the story of the boys.
This picture is not very good because it was dark and my flash just doesn't go that far!
The concert was on this huge field and you just take blankets or camp chairs and sit and relax. While we were waiting for Secondhand Serenade to come on we heard Single File, We Shot the Moon (one of my new favorite bands) and Parachute (one of my other current faves).
It was such a fun night and so nice to spend some time with my handsome man. That is after we got over the shock of being rear ended on the way there... I think I forgot to mention that! Luckily there was not much damage and we got to the concert on time! On top of all the fun stuff we did over the weekend, my parents were in Idaho for a few days and I was charged with taking care of my mom's plants. If you have ever been to my parents house you know that is no small task!
Here comes the cheesy part: I am so grateful for the pioneers and all the sacrifices they made to travel here. My Great Great Grandfather was a pioneer and was even sent to help rescue the Willie-Martin Handcart Company. Many people are familiar with the story of the three boys who helped the pioneers cross the Sweetwater river. Well, there were actually four boys and my Grandfather, Stephen Taylor is the one that never gets mentioned. That is because, unlike the others, he didn't die from complications of his heroism, he went on to live a full and successful life. He even had two wives, my family comes from the ugly one (or at least that's what my grandma told me)! A few years ago I was able to go on a Pioneer Trek for Youth Conference to Martins Cove. It was so cool to learn more about my ancestors and find out that I am related to a true hero!
I hope everyone had as much fun as we did over Pioner Day weekend!
And yes, Cam, Kristyn and Fathead, I am seriosly so blessed! So don't make fun of me because I love my awesome life!!!

1 comment:
Good for you to go on a date with your husband. Luke and I have been out a couple of times without Austin and it is SO HARD to not think and talk about him constantly! But it's so important to keep a close relationship with your spouse. Too many people grow apart after kids. I think it's something that you have to constantly be mindful of.
Sounds like you had an awesome weekend! I'm still trying to get used to the fact that only Utah celebrates the 24th!
Post a Comment